DisclaimerJaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Technical Service Bulletin # S307-16 Date: 060501
A/T - Difficult to Shift Out of PARK
5 Speed Transmission - Selector Lever Difficult To Disengage From Park - Internal Control Lever Profile - Repair Procedure
Remove and destroy Bulletin S307-16, amended 04/05. Replace with this Bulletin.
Revisions are shown with asterisks and black bars.
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 317
Some 2000-02 MY S-TYPE vehicles may exhibit difficulties in disengaging the selector lever from Park, particularly when the vehicle is parked on
an incline. *This can occur due to excess wear of the control lever profile.* A new transmission manual control lever has been released to address
In case of a verified complaint of the above condition on a 2000-02 MY S-TYPE, follow the workshop procedure outlined.
Warranty claims should be submitted quoting the information found in the table.
This will result in payment of the stated time and, where applicable parts/miscellaneous expense codes as listed.
1. Open driver door.
2. Switch ignition "ON".
3. Apply footbrake, move transmission selector lever to the neutral position and release the footbrake.
4. Switch ignition "OFF".
5. Close driver door.
6. Disconnect battery (see Workshop Manual, section: 414-01).
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 318
7. Place a suitable drain pan under the transmission.
8. Remove the transmission drain plug and discard the seal.
9. Allow the transmission fluid to drain.
10. Install a new fiber washer and install and tighten the drain plug.
11. Remove transmission extension housing seal (see Workshop Manual, section: 307-01, SR044.20.18).
12. Align transmission jack under transmission.
13. Place suitable supporting blocks onto the transmission jack and raise to support the transmission.
14. Remove the bolts securing the rear transmission mount.
Do NOT allow the engine to contact the bulkhead.
15. Lower the transmission jack.
16. Remove extension housing securing bolts, and remove extension housing. Remove and discard gasket.
Working with an assistant:
17. Raise rear of the transmission by hand and reposition the jack to support the transmission between the sump and rear of transmission main case
18. Disconnect the transmission range (TR) sensor electrical connector.
19. Remove the securing screws and remove the TR sensor from the transmission (Illustration 2).
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 319
20. Remove transmission fluid pan, gasket and filter (see Workshop Manual, section: 307-01, SRO 44.24.07).
21. Disconnect the solenoid block electrical connector (Illustration 3).
22. Disconnect the pressure switch electrical connector (Illustration 4).
23. Remove the fixing bolts (Illustration 5) and remove the solenoid block. Remove and discard the 0-ring.
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 320
24. Remove the manual control lever detent spring securing bolt (Illustration 6).
25. Remove the manual control lever detent spring.
26. Disconnect the inner selector cable from the transmission lever ball pin.
When rotating the manual shaft to allow removal of its nut, the external lever may foul the inner selector cable and prevent rotation. To
overcome the foul condition, the end of the inner cable should be pushed out of the way as required.
27. Remove the manual control lever shaft retaining pin (Illustration 7).
28. Displace the manual control lever shaft from the main case towards the transmission tunnel disengaging the manual valve from the peg.
29. Reposition the manual valve rearwards into the valve body.
When carrying out the following operation, be careful not to bend the manual control valve operating peg.
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 321
30. Remove the nut securing the manual control valve lever (Illustration 8).
31. Disconnect the manual control lever from the shaft.
32. * Remove *and discard* the manual control lever *and* the park pawl actuating rod (Illustration 9).*
33. * Install the new manual control lever *and new* park pawl actuating rod (Illustration 10).*
34. Connect the manual control lever to manual control lever shaft and engage on flats.
35. Install but do not tighten the manual control lever securing nut.
36. Reposition manual control lever shaft into main case.
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 322
37. Rotate the manual control shaft until the internal lever rear stop contacts main case.
During the following operation, be careful not to bend the manual control valve operating peg.
38. Final-tighten the manual control lever securing nut to 48 Nm (Illustration 11).
39. Reposition the manual control valve forward from the valve body to align with the manual control lever peg.
40. Align the manual control lever shaft alignment groove with the retaining pin bore of main case.
The shank of a new 3 mm twist drill will aid in this operation (Illustration 12).
41. Install the manual control lever shaft retaining pin and drive gently into position (Illustration 13).
42. Align and install the manual control lever detent spring.
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 323
43. Install and fully tighten the detent spring securing bolt to 10 Nm.
44. Install new 0-ring, install the solenoid block and install and tighten the solenoid block fixing bolts to 8 Nm (Illustration 14).
45. Connect the pressure switch electrical connector.
46. Connect the solenoid block electrical connector.
47. Install new transmission fluid filter and gasket, and install the fluid pan (see Global Technical Reference GTR Workshop Manual, section:
307-01, SRO 44.24.07).
Ensure the manual control lever is in the neutral position. Do NOT carry out the refill procedure shown in the Workshop Manual SRO
48. Ensure the manual control lever is in the neutral position.
49. Install the TR sensor to the manual control lever, install but do not fully tighten the TR sensor securing screws.
50. Align marks on the TR sensor (Illustration 15).
51. Final tighten the TR sensor securing screws.
52. Connect the TR sensor electrical connector.
*Working with an assistant:*
53. Raise rear of the transmission by hand and reposition the jack under the transmission fluid pan.
54. Place a new gasket on the extension housing, install the extension housing on the transmission and install and fully tighten securing bolts.
55. Raise transmission jack to align the transmission to the correct position.
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 324
56. Install and fully tighten rear mounting securing bolts.
57. Lower the transmission jack and return transmission jack to the storage area.
58. Install transmission extension housing seal (see Global Technical Reference GTR Workshop Manual, section: 307-01, SRO 44.20.18).
59. Connect battery (see Global Technical Reference GTR Workshop Manual, section: 414-01).
*On vehicles from VIN L00600 to M30850 only, continue from step 60, on vehicles from M30851 continue from step 72.*
60. From under the vehicle, reposition the selector cable outer casing convoluted heat protection away from the crimp.
61. Visually check to ensure the outer casing has not moved from the crimp. If the cable has moved, replace the selector cable.
62. Push and pull the outer casing to ensure it does not move within the crimp (Illustration 16). If the cable has moved, replace the selector cable.
63. Reposition the outer casing convoluted heat protection to original condition.
64. Reposition the manual control lever so the ball pin is furthest away from the inner cable end.
65. Remove floor console (see Workshop Manual section: 501-12).
66. From inside the vehicle, visually check to ensure the selector cable outer casing has not moved from the crimp. If the cable has moved, replace
the selector cable.
67. Push and pull the outer cable to ensure it does not move within the crimp. If the cable has moved, replace the selector cable.
68. Raise the gearshift lever locking solenoid plunger to allow operation of the selector lever.
69. Operate the gearshift lever to check for smooth operation of inner cable, If the cable does not move smoothly, replace the selector cable.
Leave the selector lever in the N position.
70. Install floor console (see Workshop Manual section: 501-12).
71. From underside of vehicle, reposition the manual control lever to the N position.
72. On all vehicles, connect the inner selector cable to the transmission manual control lever ball pin.
73. Remove the transmission filler plug.
74. Fill transmission with fluid using a suitable syringe.
It is not possible to get all of the fluid into the transmission at this stage.
75. Reposition the gearshift lever to the P position.
76. Position WDS alongside vehicle, switch Portable Test Unit (PTU) ON and allow software to load.
2000 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Page 325
Ensure WDS is loaded with software release JTP 759/36 or later.
77. Connect PTU to vehicle using diagnostic cable.
78. Enter VIN and navigate to content model screen.
79. Select "Transmission System".
80. Press datalogger icon tab at the top of the screen.
81. Select and view "Transmission Oil Temperature" signal ensuring the handbrake is on, with P selected, and start the engine as instructed.
82. Press tick to monitor temperature.
The fluid level should be checked with the temperature between 26°C and 48°C.
83. With the engine at idle, move the selector lever through all the range positions several times, pausing in each one, before returning to P.
84. Remove the transmission fluid level plug.
85. Check and top up with fluid until fluid drips from the level pipe every few seconds.
86. Install and tighten fluid level plug.
87. Install and tighten fluid filler plug.
88. Clean fluid residue from transmission.
89. Switch the ignition OFF.
90. Switch OFF PTU, disconnect from vehicle and return WDS to original location.